More high detail pictures available further down the page.
VW cylinder heads are the best "bang for your buck" on increasing horsepower in your Volkswagen engine. This is because horsepower comes primarily from two things:
- The size of the engine itself; - bigger is always more horsepower;
- and the air flow of the heads.
Engine size can't be changed without installing larger pistons and barrels or a stroker crank... but, new vw cylinder heads can be changed without splitting the engine case.
This is why MOFOCO invented the 050 Big Valve Cylinder Head. The 050 head is the biggest, baddest high performance VW head you can get without going to full out drag racing heads!
The 050 features 42mm stainless steel intake valves and 37mm stainless steel exhaust valves. We have also specifically designed the castings for the 050 for better cooling and better performance than any other aftermarket VW head.
With the biggest valves and the most cooling fins, your high powered air cooled VW engine will never choke, never overheat, and always roar to life with power! This is simply the single most cost effective bolt-on performance upgrade that anyone with basic mechanic skills can accomplish.
Designed completely by Mofoco
Cast in Manitowac, Wisconsin
Machined in-house completely by Mofoco
Unique D-Shaped intake ports for better airflow
This means the 050 is manufactured 100% in the United States... from the raw materials to make the casting, all the way to the final product to be installed on your engine. These 050 heads are not simply rebuilt off Brazil castings or made in China.
Detailed specifications for the MOFOCO 050 Cylinder Head:
- Approved for unleaded, plain old gas station fuel!
- Also safely runs with leaded, aviation, and racing fuels without modification
- 42mm Stainless Steel Intake Valve
- 37mm Stainless Steel ï¿½Exhaust valve
- 53cc Combustion Chambers
- D-Shaped Intake Port
- Heavy Duty Springs &ï¿½Retainers
- Silicon Brass Valve Guides
- Bolts right on in place of your old VW heads
- 3 Angle Valve Job
- Aircraft Casting Technology from a foundry in Manitowac, Wisconsin
- Larger & Smoother Port Design for Better Flow
- Thicker Port Walls & Larger Intake Face
- 3/4ï¿½Inch Reach Spark Plugs
- Thicker &ï¿½Stronger Cooling Fins - and more than the competition
- Thicker Combustion Chamber Ceiling
- Standard Bore - larger sizes available
- Machined on CNC-NC Milling Machines
Max lift "out of the box" is 525, however if you would like, we can machine them to anywhere between 525 to 600 lift for $30 per head.
These come standard to fit stock 85.5 Cylinders. If you would like a larger bore please specify the size you need when placing your order below. There will be a $20 charge per head for larger bores.
Note: These heads are priced individually. It is strongly recommended you purchase a pair for optimal performance
Also, we can match port intake manifolds to match the D-shaped intake port design. It is typically $80/pair for this service.
Keep in mind that the biggest, baddest cylinder head such as an 050 is not necessarily the best idea, depending on the size of your VW engine. Mofoco 050's are absolutely the head of choice for a high horsepower, big engine set up, however a smaller head such as the MOFOCO 042 may be better choice if you have a "tamer" or lower capacity engine (under 2000cc). If you need guidance on which heads or other upgrades would be the best choice for your air cooled VW setup, call our team of VW specialists at 1-800-558-8955 or 414-963-1020 with the details and goals of your vehicle.